History of Rochford
The rural district of Rochford, established as the ‘Rochford Hundred’ with the coming of the Normans to England. The district is rich with history, boasting numerous medieval churches and old buildings. The ‘Mount’ at Rayleigh is the remains of the original Norman castle Motte and Bailey and the oldest parts of the ‘Old House’ in Rochford date back to 1270. In 1515 Rochford Hall became the property of Bollen (Boleyn) whose daughter, Anne, was the second wife of Henry VIII. Henry visited the hall in 1533 and frequently visited Hadleigh castle (open to the public) which was built for King Edward III and commands extensive views over Leigh Marshes and the Thames Estuary. In Canewdon the Original village stocks can still be seen today.
World War Two Defences in Rochford
The aim of the Rochford Hundred Field Archaeology Group project is to locate, record, photograph, assess and interpret Rochford’s WWII defences using records, aerial photographs, wartime maps and teams of local volunteers. Rochford, in South Essex, has an interesting 20th century heritage, including a concentration of Second World War defence works. Rare surviving records give details of these. Using these records, aerial photographs, wartime maps and teams of local volunteers, the project will locate, record, photograph, assess and interpret these defences. Working closely with a professional Military Archaeologist, the group will help produce a report, including an individual record of each site as well as an historical overview, methodology, assessment of importance and recommendations for preservation. Future benefits are expected to include interpretive boards, leaflets, trail guides and guided walks lead by former project volunteers.
Milestones of Rochford District – http://www.milestonesonline.co.uk/essex-se.htm