Top

Meeting with Chief Inspector Andy Prophet

June 27, 2008 by · 3 Comments 

Idea 1-Media Testshot2As your representative on the District Council, John Mason met with Chief Inspector Andy Prophet and PC Steve Joynes at Rochford Police Station on Thursday afternoon.

They gave him the opportunity to talk in depth about the problems that residents have been experiencing and the concerns that they have.  John emphasised that if Essex Police see Clements Hall as a good place for the young people to congregate and they support the Teen Shelter then Essex Police must be resourced both for supervision and action to be taken about under age drinking and drinking anywhere in that area because it is banned.

New Youth Centres possible in Rochford District

June 29, 2007 by · Leave a Comment 

There appears to be a general consensus both from the general public and youngsters that designated meeting areas, which are supported by all, are preferred to ad hoc gathering points on street corners or other inappropriate venues. Consultation with youths across the District has already confirmed their perception that they have nowhere to go.  It therefore appears that we are all united in recognising the need to identify suitable locations for youngsters to meet up.
 
I was actually referring to some preliminary discussions about re-establishing a youth club at Rocheway, Rochford and in proposals for a new youth club in Eldon Way at Hockley.
 
In summary the police would support buildings and locations that diverted the prospect of anti social behaviour away from more residential areas, but we will do no more that support the general principles.  It is very much in the hands of local residents and councils to determine whether specific locations are deemed appropriate.

Hawkwell/Hockley Anti Social Behaviour Reduction Plan

June 19, 2007 by · 3 Comments 

Anti Social Behaviour : Matter of Concern Number 1, Residents Survey – Hawkwell West 2007

So the Police want the Youth to congregate at Clements Hall Leisure Centre. Not good news for Hawkwell residents living nearby.  But the Police want the Youth to be able to use the facilities.

So will Virgin Active and RDC offer the use free or subsidised?

I have written to a senior officer of RDC to ask how this Police request will be actioned.

Rochford District Council – Central Area Committee 12 June 2007

June 16, 2007 by · Leave a Comment 

Rochford District Council – Central Area Committee 12 June 2007

NO members of the public attended.  Why?

But there were 14 paid employees of RDC present (cost?).  And at least 7 paid employees of Essex County Council who were not presenting (cost?).

RDC Executive Councillor Mavis Webster was down to present on Tourism but she did not turn up nor send apologies.

Neighbourhood Action Panel (NAPs) – Essex Police

June 10, 2007 by · Leave a Comment 

This is a Panel of Residents put together by Essex Police.

The names of the members are not published and will change from time to time as it would be pointless to always have the same voices. It is not open to Councillors or people with any particular political view.

The agreed priorities will be published in various ways, initially on web page http://www.essex.police.uk/hockley

Where it says Hockley the Police mean Hawkwell/Hockley (it says Hockley because that is the name of their team!!)

The Neighbourhood Action Panels (aka NAPs) are intended to set the Neighbourhood Policing Team priorities ie speeding, nuisance, youths etc.,

CCTV at Hawkwell Parade – Update

June 9, 2007 by · Leave a Comment 

Anti Social Behaviour : Matter of Concern Number 1, Residents Survey – Hawkwell West 2007

This is a project that many residents wish to see implemented by Hawkwell Parish Council and the businesses at Hawkwell Parade.

Update from the Clerk to Hawkwell Parish Council.

“Estimate for camera pole now in and awaiting fix date, I will let you know a date asap, camera to be ordered when date known.”

Speeding in Rectory Road and Main Road (nr Mount Bovers Lane)

June 9, 2007 by · Leave a Comment 

Anti Social Behaviour : Matter of Concern Number 1, Residents Survey – Hawkwell West 2007

Yes, this is anti social behaviour by adults as well.  Not just the youth !!

At the request of a significant number residents I contacted PC Steve Joynes and asked for the new digital speed panels to be deployed in these areas.

What you may not know is that they recorded the actual speeds for further analysis.

I have asked Steve for the data and I will let you know what we found and what action can be taken. 

Parish Council to discuss Village Bobby for Hawkwell

June 9, 2007 by · Leave a Comment 

Anti Social Behaviour : Matter of Concern Number 1, Residents Survey – Hawkwell West 2007

Residents living in the vicinity of the Hawkwell Playing Fields (Harrow Gardens, Hawkwell Park Drive, Park Gardens, Victor Gardens) are beset with anti social behaviour and there are often a number of incidents over the weekend.

I have advised residents that Parish Councils can now fund a PCSO for their area and more or less have this resource ring fenced. 

A resident has written to the Hawkwell Parish Council on behalf of all residents in that patch to ask the Parish to do this.

Meeting with Assistant Chief Constable (ACC) Carmel Napier

May 31, 2007 by · Leave a Comment 

Anti Social Behaviour : Matter of Concern Number 1, Residents Survey – Hawkwell West 2007

I undertook a visit to Essex Police Headquarters as part of the Anti Social Behaviour Review being undertaken by Rochford District Council.

We met Assistant Chief Constable (ACC) Carmel Napier who is in charge of Neighbourhood Policing.  Rochford Area Commander, Chief Inspector John Walker reports to Mrs Napier.

Residents Survey – Hawkwell West 2007

May 27, 2007 by · Leave a Comment 

Which local issues matter the most to you? %
Anti-Social behaviour 18
Council tax 12
Litter 11
Medical care ie., dentists/doctors 10
Planning 8
Traffic congestion 7
Street parking 6
Facilities for Young People 6
Recycling 5
Parks and green spaces 5
Bus Services 5
Street crime 4
Graffiti 3
Leisure/ Sports facilities 0
How safe do you feel? %
Neutral 52

Hawkwell Park Drive and Park Gardens

November 10, 2006 by · Leave a Comment 

New Barriers and Gates to counter Anti Social Behaviour

Hawkwell West News – September 2006

September 12, 2006 by · Leave a Comment 

Ward News

First of all a “thank you” to all those who voted for me to continue my independent, residents mandate at Rochford District Council.  I am now the only Independent on RDC.  I have delayed the “victory newsletter” because the issues of the nuisance being caused by young people were my priority given the volume of e mails and calls that I was receiving.

The primary responsibility for policing and nuisance does not lie with the Parish or District Council although their Councillors and Officers will do everything they can to make our County Councillor, the Police and the Essex Police Authority aware of the issues and your concerns.  So what I have been doing is working with the District Council Officers and the Police on those issues where we have direct responsibility at RDC and can make real improvements.

The fence at the bottom of Park Gardens has been repaired, the gates replaced and an anti moped barrier erected.  The Police will now assist Service Team in locking the gates at night and there will be clear signage of closure times.  I have arranged for RDC to also replace the barrier and fencing at Hawkwell Park Drive, so if the moped riders wish to invade the playing fields again then they will be recorded by the CCTV at Clements Hall on entry and dealt with by Holmes Place Security and the Police. The murals on the pavilion are welcome and have stopped the graffiti here, and it is claimed, elsewhere.  This was a joint project involving RDC and the Police. But my concerns are that the young people who have been congregating at the end of Park Gardens will now return to Hawkwell Parade but hopefully the joint project between the shops and the Parish Council for the installation of CCTV will deter this when installed.

I have met with Chief Inspector John Walker, who is the Commander for Rochford District and he has kindly agreed that I can circulate the answers to many questions that I asked him.

Interestingly we concurred on our views on Dispersal and Curfew Orders but if Chief Inspector Walker were to apply for these in Hawkwell in the future then he will have my full support.

I also fully support any action under “Section 59” for confiscation and destruction of any vehicles that are misused.

Here is our Question and Answer Session

Anti Social Behaviour and Vandalism

May 18, 2006 by · 5 Comments 

I recognised the issue of policing in my election address as a matter of concern not just for Hawkwell but the whole Rochford District. This is not just an issue for Hawkwell or its representives to address alone.

The situation will not be improved across the District unless the whole District Council acts and obtains the level of policing we require from the newly merged Rayleigh and Southend Division. As I said in my election address the Council is still awaiting the Divisional Commander, Chief Superintendent Folkard to come to a Council Meeting and explain the basis of resourcing we have and challenge that is insufficient.

In the meantime I have advised Essex Police again, and just a few weeks ago, of the concerns of residents about young people coming into Hockley and Hawkwell by train because they have been dispersed by law from Rochford. There have been joint operations between the Transport Police and Essex Police at Hockley Rail Station in the past and I have asked that this operation be renewed. I have also asked Essex Police to increase patrols in Hawkwell.

MP finds time to spend in Hawkwell !!

May 18, 2006 by · Leave a Comment 

Our Conservative MP, Mark Francois, spent the evening of 4 May, in Hawkwell West talking to Conservative voters. It is a pity that he did not, as our MP, spend more time in Hawkwell speaking to a wider cross section of residents and actually working for us all rather than increase the Conservative Turnout and oust me, John Mason, an established “independent” from the District Council.

Why this was a priority for our MP, when the Conservatives have outright control of the District Council I cannot begin to understand. What would have been the benefit of yet another seat? Basically political domination with no other voices, especially independent ones, being heard in debate.

Bottom