Top

330 reasons to object to new houses in Hawkwell

November 14, 2008 by · 4 Comments 

160 residents from Hockley and Hawkwell went to the Rochford District Council Meeting held at the Hawkwell Village Hall to protest against the proposal from the Council to build 330 new houses between Thorpe Road and Clements Hall Way.

Independent District Councillor John Mason for Hawkwell West spoke at the end of the Meeting at the request of a resident to explain whether he was against the proposal.

Councillor Mason confirmed that he remained steadfastly against the proposal, indeed as he had said at two public meetings arranged by the Hawkwell Action Group.  He took time to say that he had been conducting his own technical appraisal of the location described as South Hawkwell under the Government Policy on sustainable development PPS12 and that he had concluded that it was NOT a sustainable development and should be dropped by the Council.

Download “330 reasons to object to new houses in Hawkwell”

 

 

John said that he would make his findings available on the web and that he hoped that residents would consult this and write their own letters of protest to the Council, by letter, email or by direct input into the Council’s Database.

Councillor Hudson, on behalf of the Council, said that he welcomed the input that would be provided by Councillor Mason and residents because the Council did want residents views in writing not just as expressed at the meeting.

John Mason’s hugely detailed letter of protest on behalf of residents can be downloaded here.  He urges all concerned residents to write to the Council by 17 December which is the closing date of the consultation.

Is Rochford Brickworks a site for 200 houses?

June 25, 2008 by · Leave a Comment 

Coastline near Southend-on-Sea:  approaching London City AirportAt the Public Meeting in Hawkwell a resident asked me to explain why this has not been considered in the planning for the strategic housing development plan for Rochford District whereas it was include in the London Southend Airport Report (JAAP)?  The Brickworks Site could support 200 new houses.

The detailed position is as follows.

The formal consultation period on London Southend Airport Report (JAAP) started on the 24 June.  If you look at the four possible development scenarios you will see that a mixed development scheme is suggested for the old brickworks site under Scenario 3.

This is simply a consultation on issues and options and no decisions whatsoever have been taken about the development that might ultimately be agreed in the area of the Action Plan.
 
The JAAP stands on its own as a development plan document, though Rochford District Council will be referring to it, as you might expect, in the revised version of the Local Development Plan Core Strategy.

The Brickworks site is about 1.9 hectares (4.7 acres).  However, you may recall there is a company pushing for the development of a retirement village on the site together with surrounding scrubland – if included, this would make the site about 4 hectares (10 acres).  The boundary shown on the issues and options document is the larger area. This would support 200 houses.

New Hawkwell Housing – How to Protest

June 22, 2008 by · Leave a Comment 

Bloor Street Corridor Visioning Study Kick-Off Meeting, Walmer Road Baptist Church Upper Gym, Wednesday, May 9, 2007 - 267Having seen the huge turnout at the Hawkwell Action Group’s Public Meeting many of you asked how you could object.  Rather than wait for an official public consultation you can protest now especially as it is known that the Planning Policy Committee has reviewed the sites.

Here is the draft of a letter you could send to the Council, Click here.

365 new houses is the biggest threat to the lives of residents in Hawkwell West for 20 years. Is it a real threat?  Yes, because the people who want it to happen went to the trouble of meeting in secret and then gave an “exclusive” to the Echo to publish it.  Who are these people?  Are they greedy land owners?  No these are the people who residents across the district elected to run Rochford District Council.  The powerful councillor who wants this is your “neighbour” in Hockley where he demands only 36 new houses against the 365 for Hawkwell West.

The infrastructure in Hawkwell West has not changed in over 80 years……and why should it, if the residents don’t want it? The biggest change in the last 20 years was the decision to site the then biggest leisure centre in the East of England in Hawkwell West and that was a mistake.  It has brought too much traffic to Hawkwell.  Ashingdon Road cannot cope with the huge housing developments in East Hawkwell and Ashingdon and now we find that Rectory Road is a rat run with the bottlenecks at St. Mary’s Church and Nursery corner leading to the new Cherry Orchard Lane link to the A127.

Hawkwell West does not have the infrastructure to sustain 365 houses on any of the sites put forward.  And the infrastructure cannot be improved without totally ruining the area.  Neither does Essex County Council have any plans to do so.

So if the houses are built then it will be a disaster. One site is on the flood plain. Another is in the Roach Valley Conservation Zone.  And the last is believed to be a place where rare plants and animals have lived undisturbed for centuries.

As your independent district councillor and I promised to fight for our Green Belt.  I have represented you in successful campaigns since 1994 and I have already been fighting this proposal in Council and Public Consultations for 18 months.

I was delighted when the campaign gave birth to the Hawkwell Action Group and I joined with these residents immediately to help. At two public meetings you have said that you do not want 365 new houses in Hawkwell West.

What you need to do now, because the sites have already been visited by councillors and we are told that the decision will be made in the Autumn is for you to write personally to protest about this before it is too late. PLEASE WRITE NOW.

John Mason, Independent District Councillor for Hawkwell West

 

Hawkwell says it does not want 365 houses on green belt

June 14, 2008 by · 1 Comment 

Residents at the Public Meeting arranged by the Hawkwell Action Group said “No !”

[tab:click here for photos]

[tab:click here for aerial photos]
Here are the Aerial Photos, to view the maps please click here.

For a map of all the individually owned plots in the Thorpe Road Site – Click Here 

Here is a list of the sites offered by land owners to Rochford District Council – Click Here 
[tab:END]

Please protest about this here

Not Sustainable – 3700 Homes for Rochford District

May 26, 2008 by · Leave a Comment 

From the Echo 19 May 2008.

PLANS for 3,000 new jobs and 3,790 new homes in the Rochford district are not sustainable without improvement to the area’s transport links, according to an RDC Councillor.”We wonder if the Government has any idea at all of the daily problems our residents face due to the severe lack of infrastructure in our area and the East of England generally.”

But Rochford District Council has come up with a spin strategy to make everyone feel happy about things.

Councillor Keith Hudson, Cabinet Member and Portfolio Holder for Planning and Transportation said: “I think the good news is that the amount of land will be very small, perhaps only two or three fields. It is just a few acres, but there is always the danger the targets will increase.”

“What we will be seeking to do is to make sure those sites which already have been given planning permission are actually developed.”

“A major example is the site opposite the cemetery in Hockley Road, Rayleigh, which has had planning permission for many years.

“This and other sites could take a large amount of the housing quota without having to use other areas.”

The last statement is an empty statement and a typical of the factually incorrect comments we get from politicians. They don’t expect anyone to check up on them!! But we have. The only site of more than 50 units that has not been started is the Carter & Ward site opposite Rayleigh cemetery.  The consent dates from 1979 and was for 86 units, though you may recall that a corner chunk of the site has been used for an elderly persons home.

These are the weasel words of politics, smoke and mirrors around the numbers. Discounting those 86 still not built but approved RDC was always a requirement but RDC will still have to find places for around 3,700 new houses. Why But as Councillor Hudson says about our precious green belt “It is just a few acres…perhaps only two or three fields”.

Who is he kidding? Don’t let him fool you !!

 

 

  

 

Evening Echo – Reluctant Rochford’s 3,000 new homes

September 17, 2006 by · Leave a Comment 

Reluctant Rochford’s 3,000 new homes
By Geoff Percival

Rochford councillors have reluctantly agreed 3,000 more homes might have to be built in the district by 2021.

But councillors are angry that the Government is trying to force so many new houses on area.

The proposals will mean 90 per cent of the extra homes would be in Rayleigh, Hockley, Hawkwell, Rochford and Ashingdon.

However, Rochford District Council leader Terry Cutmore (Con, Ashingdon) pointed out the plan had yet to be ratified by the East of England Regional Assembly, which drafted it.

He added: “Effectively, we are looking at a plan which has not even been approved by the assembly which put it forward, because of worries about the number of homes involved and the infrastructure of the East of England.”

Peter Webster (Con, Rayleigh Wheatley) added: “This is not what we want to do. It is something we are being forced into by a Socialist government.”

John Mason (Ind, Hawkwell) said he felt 3,000 new homes was an unrealistic number. He did not believe so many could be fitted into the existing main residential areas.“We need to put a lot more work in on this before it is finally approved,” he suggested.
Head of planning Shaun Scrutton said the plan was in its infancy and it was too early for a final decision.

Head of planning Shaun Scrutton said the plan was in its infancy and it was too early for a final decision.He pointed out there would be a period of public consultation before the council had to agree on it.

Mr Scrutton added: “The concept of the whole plan will then be tested by an inspector at a public inquiry later next year, making the final decision.”

Planning Policy to 2021 – an extra 3000 houses

September 13, 2006 by · Leave a Comment 

The District Council Planning Policy and Transportation Committee meeting on 12 September presented the Council’s Core Strategy on planning for the next 15 years or more. Nothing was decided and there is public consultation.

But it gave a strong bias as to where the council will allow 3,000 extra homes to be built up to the year 2021.

These are required by the Government and the East of England Regional Assembly is not even supporting the requirement. This is supposed to be a LOCAL framework and Government direction of the level of development WE want is a nonsense and anti democratic. The Council Officer recommendation is that 90 percent of the housing should be concentrated around the largest build-up areas of the District – Rayleigh, Rochford, Hockley ,Hawkwell and Ashingdon. About 10 percent should go to Hullbridge, Great Wakering and Canewdon.

This became a nonsense when I looked at some of the wording that related to th 90% option ” They are capable of sustaining some expansion, infilling and development”.

The Officers admitted that the word “some” was there as a requirement of the Government that there was no detail in the strategy !!

The highways and all services are overloaded with no realistic expectation of the level of improvement needed to sustain housing development. And the dreaded word “some” without enumeration creeps in. If it is only “some” then 90% is not probable; it is improbable. Hardly a strategy you can have any confidence in.

And coalescence of the “villages” is now on. A retrograde step which will lead to one urban mass.The Lib Dems say on their web site” Last night Hawkwell Councillor John Mason made it clear that he wanted it more fairly shared out.”  Nice to be appreciated for speaking out for the District.

I hope that you will also have your say and make your opinions known.

I hope that you will also have your say and make your opinions known.John Mason

Abolition of The District Councils

May 18, 2006 by · Leave a Comment 

John Prescott now longer has the ODPM and David Miliband has moved on. Several senior civil servants are no longer involved.  It is rumoured that the Government does not wish to take on some County and District Councils.  The White Paper will now be published towards the end of October.



Recent election candidates for District Councils might find that the losers have the last laugh almost immediately as their office will most likely abolished with the District Councils as early as 2008 by the Labour Government.

The Labour Government is even thinking of calling off the next District Council elections due in 2007 to make way for early abolition of the District Councils. Read more

Bottom